Robert C. Woodward operated a photography studio at the back of his Barber Shop on Hermon Street in De Kalb Junction from about 1906 until his death in 1924. He was living in De Kalb Junction by June 1887 when the Ogdensburg Advance described him as "R.C. Woodward our popular tonsorial artist." His photographs are often unmarked or marked with a small raised W in the mounting board.
Robert C. Woodward was born in South Brent, England in 1854. His parents brought him to Canada when he was 4 months old. He was orphaned at the age of 5. He was educated in the commons schools of Mount Forest, Ontario and finished his education at the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. In his youth he learned the trade of bricklayer and later was trained as a barber.